Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympics switch-a-roo


So I just finished reading about Micheal Phelps first gold medal. I must say I did not imagine that NBC had the kind of power and influence that it does. In an article on USAToday.com, it says that NBC actually got the Chinese to change the time of a race just so NBC could get it in primetime for us viewers. This did not come without resistance from the other countries but I imagine that GE gave quite a hefty sum of money to make it happen. Lucky for NBC it paid off with a gold. Hopefully enough people were watching to at least break even. Apparently NBC has spent $894 million on the idea that Phelps is going to break Mark Spitz's record of 7 golds in one Olympics.

I am not trying to sound unpatriotic but the fact that America has that much power in China is outstanding. Who would have thought that they would change times to accommodate us?

No comments: