Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Tweet me something interesting

So lately I have really been enjoying the Twitter phenom that has swept the... well really the world. I can keep track of a few bands I like, get job postings and (sometimes) hear something from a brand I like. Now I say sometimes because I will send a tweet into the world and I get a "following" message from a company. I have no problem with that as I do not mind looking in on my favorite things, hence the Twitter account (that and I am no Oprah so I have to find my own favorites). What I have a problem with is the fact that they do not post. I understand that it is hard to keep track of every social media aspect but if you are going to do something it would be better to go all out, or at least part of the way.

Case in point, I have an obsession - yes I admit it - with a certain watch brand. I have yet to find the actual manufacturer on Twitter but there is an "authorized" retailer with the watches' name. Their last update was on July 4th. Pointless, if you ask me (but no one ever does).

Of course on the other hand I am following someone else who, amidst the few actual tweets of job positions I was promised, tweets "Mom Loses 48 Pounds in 2 Months. Read How a Busy Mom Lost 48 Pounds in 60 days with 2 Simple Products." Am I really following him so he can sell me this product? No.

Now I understand that he wants to make some money, we all do. I also understand that people are learning to use Twitter in new and exciting ways but this sort of promotion does not flow with Marketing. First off if he really wanted me to click through he should try something a little more in line with the "theme" of his Twitter page. I do not look at CNNMoney to learn about cooking and same thing goes here.

So after that rant comes how Twitter (and any other social media marketing) should be used.

The number one rule of Twitter, be genuine. We do not want to be sold a product but we want to feel like we are actually talking to a human. Social media needs to be a dialogue to really work. A great example of this is Best Buy's Twelpforce. The experts at Best Buy are on hand to answer all questions, via Twitter. That is service. Products are bound to be sold through this service and good will is established. Great PR and Marketing.

Number two. Search and Respond. Many companies and people are doing a good job of finding those who mention their products or even the competition's products but few go as far as to really work through problems. If I was a big time marketer I would be scouring the Twittersphere just as they now scan the blogosphere. It is a great way to find out what people think of your brand and you.

Number three. Don't forget to post. My pet peeve is a non-posting business account. Why spend all that time to find people and set up an account if you are not going to use it? I can honestly say that if an account goes without update, I will not follow it unless I have a very special interest in the Tweet-er.

I know this seems like it is going to take a long time to get set up and especially when there is only one person in the Marketing department. Well luckily there are a myriad of programs to run your Twitter. Programs like HootSuite work beautifully. Of course there are many more as this is the new "in" medium.

Twitter can be a great ally or a vengeful enemy. You choose.

P.S. I dare you to not follow my Twitter as it is not interesting and I use it more as a spot to air my thoughts....

1 comment:

Jonny P said...

I totally agree with #2...lots of companies pay big money for the conducting of opinion polls and surveys and things of that nature. Why not save yourself some money, and see what people are posting about your company on twitter? You could get opinions about changes that should be made, etc, and it doesn't cost anything.