Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Too many hands....



So I had the great opportunity to meet with a business group today. Let me put it this way, and I hope it does not sound harsh, the company has potential but will not grow as it is presently constituted. The problem? Too many ideas from too many people. In theory the idea behind the company is great, get people from as many different specialties as possible to generate the greatest amount of ideas that do not cost anything to implement (ok so that last part is not as conducive to making money but that is not the point of this post). The problem is the amount of "expertise" in the room.

What I have found from my business traveling's in the small business world is that sometimes you just need to jump in to test the water. The more you think about your product/service the more you will over think. Now this is not always the case but 9 times out of 10 this will happen. Am I advocating not having a plan? No. I am advocating having more of a guideline and that you tweak it as you go. You need to stay flexible when starting and running a business as change is inevitable. Taking on business partners can be good, as long as you do not have too many and they all know what role they are to play.

Remember my motto, Dive in and Adjust your Plan!

No comments: