Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tough Market!


So the job market currently leaves a lot to be desired. Granted I changed what is was I wanted to do for a living. It is difficult to actually get call backs now. I have received emails from different companies saying there has been more responses to a job posting than they thought so the process is taking longer. A sign of the times? Probably. So what is a college grad to do? Well this is what I have been doing.

1. Linkedin.com - Basically a Facebook for the professionals. When I first joined I was expecting something completely different. I quit using it for quite sometime but recently I have been trying to use it more for now as I have realized the power. The job search is a great tool but also being able to network with people with similar interests. Great way to find jobs you may not have thought about.

2. Personal network - So I do not have a very large network currently. It has been tough to try to get those I know or have done business with to keep an eye out for a job. The thing is, the more people you have to be watching the market, the better chance you will actually find something. I am pretty amazing (or so I think) but I am cannot be in every place at once. This way the network of my networks are also working for me. 

3. Job search engines - The W.P. Carey School of Business partners with NACELink to find jobs all over the country. Most of them are for more "experienced" professionals and do not want to give a college grad "with no experience" (although I have done more than most of my peers at school) the chance. I guess the saying, "Keep on Truckin'" works for this as well. Just cannot give up.

So these are just 3 different options. I invite you to share your experiences (Ha ha I am talking as if someone actually reads this!) on how your job hunt is going. Then go to the web and find yourself a job. Check out this BusinessWeek article for more ideas! Or this one for ideas on what NOT to do.

4 comments:

Jonny P said...

Unfortunately, I'm totally in the same boat as you. It seems as if I thought all along that as soon as I got done with school, I'd have people beating down my door wanting to hire me. Obviously, after going to a few interviews, I find that I'm quite unprepared, not only as far as how to get a job, but just to find legit and decent paying jobs.

Matt said...

Yeah, I knew they weren't going to be beating down the door, I wished they would have been, but I didn't figure the economy was going to collaspe. Oh well, just keep looking, right?

aander22 said...

I'm in the same position with the job market and I'm a completely broke college student! Thanks for your tips about the networking sites. I also came across this contest yesterday, http://indebted.mtvu.com/the-challenge/, might help me pay off some of my bills and I thought you and your readers might be interested as well!

-Ashley

Matt said...

Thank you very much Ashley! Any help is good help!